I suggest you ...

Alternative to Virt-Manager for use with Xen and the XL toolstack

Among other approaches, I’ve been using Virtual Machine Manager (Virt-Manager) to control VMs running under the vanilla Xen hypervisor, and that approach seems to work well with the XM toolstack. However, presumably because of some bugs with libvirt and/or libxl, I am not able to use Virt-Manager with the new XL toolstack. And judging from the libvirt forums, compatibility with the XL toolstack isn’t a high priority.

The above leads me to think that vanilla Xen needs its own GUI that can be used for controlling VMs using the new XL toolstack.

I’ll note know that Xen Orchestra has begun work to create a GUI for controlling VMs using the XAPI toolstack. However, at present, Xen Orchestra doesn’t seem to be developing a version for use with the XL toolstack. https://xenorchestra.uservoice.com/forums/187091-general/suggestions/3787827-xen-orchestra-xl-a-version-of-xo-that-interacts-d

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

Unfortunately GUI development and OS development are completely different beasts; none of the people on the current team are GUI developers, and so we will be unable to work on this.

Although the core libvirt developers don’t have much interest in Xen, there are people within the Xen community working on improving libxl Xen support. Many improvements have been made already; continuing ot improve libvirt support for liibxl is probably the fastest, most efficient way of getting a suitable GUI for libxl.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VlVl commented  · 

I just want to chime in...
        I understand that OS dev and GUI dev is different beast and all
        but there are several open source GUI that already exists for Xen that only need to be integrated.
        I mean just make it easy to install and configure it and you are good.

I have been trying to setup Archipel for example on Opensuse 12.3 Xen 4.2.

no luck. all looks good on paper (on the web) but not so good in practice.
        I can not configure ejabbered to run, for crying out loud.
        it just wont work. I follow all the instructions and all and nothing to show for it.

Please guys, get together with Archipel and ejabbered devs,
        bring them into the main distro so it all installs with Xen and can be configured from Archipel WebGui.

it seams as this two are ment to be together.

• Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken commented  · 

Just want to add some info: Unfortunately, Virt-Manager still isn't working with XL in many distros. For example, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1180281 So those who want to use the default XL toolstack with Xen 4.2 and later won't have a GUI available for management any time soon. While this may not be a problem for many savvy Xen users, it will certainly be a problem for the less savvy, such as me. So here's hoping that the Xen Project, even if it doesn't have have the resources to develop a GUI on its own, will reach out to those who may have the ability to develop such a GUI.

Feedback and Knowledge Base