I suggest you ...

SR-IOV VM live migration

Support for VM live migration even if some SR-IOV VF virtual devices are attached to VM. such has http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17so6019Dow

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • First, the XenServer developers don't follow this forum anymore; so any requests regarding XenServer will need to be raised elsewhere.

All the moving parts needed to make that demo work from the toolstack side are available in xl. The main functionality is to set up the guest with a bonded network with the normal VIF at a low priority, and then udev scripts to automatically add passed-through devices to the bonded network at a high priority. Then from the toolstack side, you just need to 1) hot-unplug the SRIOV device before migration 2) do the migration 3) hot-plug the SRIOV device afterwards. That can all be duct-taped together with bash without too much difficulty.

If you want to make a proper interface to allow that stuff to happen without duct-taping it together with scripts, then you would need to add the concept of "device pools" into xl, as there are in xapi. That would be a well-defined feature we could work on.

• Tobias KreidlTobias Kreidl commented  · 

Interestingly, this is how NetScaler works and it runs currently with a modified XenServer 6.1 instance.

• Tobias KreidlTobias Kreidl commented  · 

Yes,ineed -- this worked at one time for Solarflare and then, *poof*, all development and support seemed to come to a standstill. The same could be said for VMs using GPU/vGPU, which also cannot be migrated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base