I suggest you ...

XCP: Offer a recurring beta based on latest Xen and latest Ubuntu

I know that what I am requesting should merely require “apt-get install xcp-xapi” to accomplish. But let’s face it: Installing xapi on Ubuntu isn’t, and probably never will be, so simple. So how about offering a pre-built iso version for us?

And yes, I know that such a build probably wouldn’t meet the stability requirements of many current XCP users. So I’m not suggesting this as a replacement of the current XCP, but rather a “recurring beta” build useful for those who want to test the lasted version of xapi combined with the latest xen on the latest Ubuntu.

Of course, if you want to build a stable version based on the latest Ubuntu LTS, that would be great too. But for me, a recurring beta release, always based on the latest xen and the latest Ubuntu, would be preferred.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken commented  · 

George, thanks much for the update. From what I just read on the Xen-API list, it seems that you are way ahead of me and that "Fusion" will likely be even better than the "bleeding edge XCP (unstable)" than I had in mind. Great news!

• Gizmo ChickenGizmo Chicken commented  · 

@Anonymous: Yes, I'm requesting a "bleeding edge XCP (unstable)" based on the latest Xen and the latest (or nearly latest) Linux kernel. And yes, something based on packages from Project Kronos is what I have in mind: Project Kronos provides the capability to install the XCP toolstack on Debian-based (.deb) distributions, including both Debian and Ubuntu. In fact, “apt-get install xcp-xapi” is among the first (of many) steps required for installing Project Kronos on Ubuntu. But in my experience, whether installing on Debian and Ubuntu, the installation requires quite a bit of hacking. And especially with Ubuntu, the installation is hit-or-miss from one release to the next. So having an XCP-like (iso-based) installer would be nice. Because it has a predictable release schedule and usually includes the latest Xen and the latest (or nearly latest) Linux kernel, I lean toward Ubuntu, hence my request. But sure, it could be based on Debian rather than the latest Ubuntu release.

• Anonymous commented  · 

have you looked at project kronos - Debian XCP-XAPI ? it currently works easily xen4.1 + xcp
        do not know if this works on ubuntu, but why Ubuntu if Debian is working?
        may be what you are asking is a bleeding edge XCP (unstable) - good idea.
        it is better to invest energies on project kronos than to spin a new effort for ubuntu.

Feedback and Knowledge Base