I suggest you ...

XenServer: Add --with-usb to kernels... since SD Flash for hard drives is becoming more mainstream.

We have all in-house production servers with NO LOCAL HARD DRIVES. The OS is on SD Flash cards (2) RAID. Evertime there is a kernel upgrade I have to boot from CD, initrd --with-usb a the new kernel before I can boot up my server!!!!

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lukáš ViktoraLukáš Viktora commented  · 

I had huge problems with XenServer on USB flash drive.
        In production problem it takes two or three days to Xen has had kernel panic.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Thanks... I will head over to Xenserver.org and post there...

• Ah, right -- sorry, if you have something specific about XCP or XenServer, you need to specify it in the title. I'll add that in and alert the XCP folks; but you may also want to report this on the xenserver.org forums or the Xen development mailing lists, as it sounds like something that should be fairly easy to implement.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Install XenServer on a piece of hardware with NO local hard drives, just on SD Flash drives on the hardware... then reboot when done.... hangs on CITRIX screen because the kernel was not compiled with USB support... you have to initrd --with-usb initrd.2.6hadahadahada.xen 2.6hadahadahada.img

• Anonymous commented  · 

XenServer has to be recompiled with USB support at the kernel level, on the Xen Server... we are not talking about VMs here...

• Anonymous commented  · 

Distro??? There's only one source. Within the XenCenter GUI, and you have to do a hotfix or SP upgrade, and it changes the kernel, this is the issue... not a distro....!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base