Xen Development

Help us focus our efforts on Xen development! Please suggest things you think would make the Xen project more useful. More importantly, rate the improvements you think are the most important.

Please note that this forum is NOT for requests related to either XCP or XenServer. Requests or comments related to those projects will be deleted.

Suggestions can involve the core Xen tree, or in Linux or qemu.

Be sure to describe primarily what problem you’re trying to solve. That will help us determine what the best technical solution is. It may even be that there already is a solution we can suggest you use.

Responses mean:

• Under review: It’s on our radar, but no one has said they are working on it for a specific release
  • Planned: Someone has said they are working on it for a particular release
  • Started: Someone has started the code
  • Completed: The code is done, and should be available in the next release (if it’s not available already)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. paravirtualized VM instead of DOCKER

There is a huge problem on docker userspace virtualizaion, isolation is not possible and the underlying host is exposed on many ways, it would be perfect to have simple paravirtiualization with dockerfile for similar to creating docker images

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Admin →
    • xl support for PVSCSI

xm/xend supports PVSCSI, so xl should support it aswell.
      PVSCSI is useful for passing thru SCSI/FC/SAS tape drives, autoloaders, tape robots, backplane/chassis management devices, disk LUNs, or any other SCSI device to a Xen VM. In addition to passing thru single devices/LUNs PVSCSI can also passthru all devices/LUNs on a SCSI/FC/SAS host controller. PVSCSI can also be used for NPIV.

More information about PVSCSI:
      http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Paravirtualized_SCSI

PVSCSI requires backend driver in dom0 kernel, and frontend driver in guest kernel. Suse's xenlinux forward-ported patches contain PVSCSI drivers, also for HVM guests (unmodied_drivers). Konrad's git tree has initial port of PVSCSI to pvops.…

20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      • Automatic NUMA optimization

NUMA systems are becoming more common; configuring such a system optimally and keeping it optimal is difficult. It would be nice if Xen could automatically place and move VMs according to current conditions to optimize performance.

19 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)