I suggest you ...

Support for GlusterFS

It would be wonderful if GlusterFS was properly supported, even if only with native CLI tools, which are plenty good for most things. Being able to share local storage between machines as a glusterfs volume or volumes is interesting as a means of building highly-available VMs.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sam Zaydel shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Another option would be to use qemu's libgsapi support, like this:

disk = [ 'vdev=xda,backendtype=qdisk,target=glusterfs://server/vm-images/c6-01.raw']

If someone could test the above string and either 1) report that it doesnt' work on xen-devel, or 2) add to the wiki page on GlusterFS, that would be much appreciated.

• So first of all, it seems some people are asking for this to be added to XenServer. As the introduction page says, this is *not* for XenServer requests, but for requests to the upstream XenProject. XenServer product management were invited to use this space but have so far declined to do so.

That said, XenOrchestra have created a plugin for XenServer called XOSAN that has GlusterFS underneath: https://xen-orchestra.com/blog/xenserver-hyperconverged-with-xosan/

For core XenProject users (using xl), I talked to the architect of the XOSAN plugin, and he recommended storing VM images as flat files inside a GlusterFS volume, similar to what one would do for NFS. There is a basic set of (untested) instructions here:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Using_GlusterFS_for_VM_images

Please test them and give feedback. Thanks.

• Travis Eddy commented  · 

The only reason I have my larger customers using oVirt.... If XenServer had GlusterFS support for storage I'd switch back. (I still use XenServer for customers that only have 1 vm host)

• ItsIDEA commented  · 

Have native support for libgfapi. So the access to GlusterFS API is supported for HS/Shared Storage

Feedback and Knowledge Base